15 Best Battery Charger & Jump Starter In 2019 (Review and Buying Guides)
In this article, we’ll be exploring the best car battery charger that is excellent at restoring your vehicle battery charge even after you depleted it.
So, have you ever experienced turning on your ignition just to find out your car wouldn’t work?
Worst if it’s in the middle of nowhere. It can quickly ruin your day, that’s for sure. So don’t let it!
Having a car battery charger during such time can be very helpful because you can jumpstart your car even the battery is completely flat.
If you are looking to buy the best battery charger for car, you came to the right place. We’ll discuss all of them at the car battery charger reviews, below. But first, here are some of our favorite battery chargers available.
Also, if you want to find out more about car batteries, how they work, why they’re essential, and what brand you should get, head on over to this article – Best Car Battery.
Discover the Best Car Battery Charger
A car battery charger is an essential car accessory that you should have stored inside your trunk.
You just never know when you’re going to need to recharge your car battery.
Like many other accessories, battery chargers also have different kinds you can choose from:
- Smart battery charger
- Solar car battery charger
- Car battery tender
- And many more
It’s a good idea to get to know some of the best models to have an insight on what to buy for your car.
On this page, we’ll explore:
- Best Battery Charger for Cars Review
- Best Portable Car Battery Charger Review
- Solar Car Battery Charger Review
- The Voltage
- The Amperage
- What Is a Smart Charger?
- What is a Trickle Charger?
- Trickle Charger vs. Battery Tender
- Car Battery Chargers vs. Jump Starters
- How Does a Battery Charger Work?
- How to Choose a Battery Charger?
- How to Use a Car Battery Charger?
- What are the Safety Features of a Battery Charger?
Also, if you own a truck or marine vehicles, head over to these articles – Best Truck Battery, Car Battery Tester, and Best Marine Battery to find out the top truck and marine batteries in the market right now.
Best Battery Charger for Cars – Review
Looking for a smart car battery charger or any other type of battery charger can be tough. There are many choices in the market.
To help you out, we’ve looked any hundreds of battery charger and compiled a list of the best car battery charger in the market for you.
Check out the list below.
1. Battery Tender Plus 021-0128
- STAY CHARGED: Provides a full charge to your...
- EXTEND BATTERY LIFE: Compatible with all 12V...
- INCLUDES: 12V, 1.25 AMP battery charger,...
- EASY TO USE: Low maintenance design is quick...
The Battery Tender Plus is a great model to get for people who have rarely driven vehicles.
You can even use it on your golf carts and ATVs.
It’s a 1.25-amp charger that can charge faster than your regular 3-amp charger. It is also very efficient since it can automatically change from full charge mode to float mode easily.
It can maintain storage voltage adequately so you won’t incur damages done by some trickle chargers.
Plus, it’s inexpensive! For people on a budget, this charger is an excellent deal!
We think the Battery Tender Plus 021-0128 battery charger is the best automotive battery charger in the market right now.
- It is water-resistant.
- It has Reverse Polarity Protection.
- It has spark-resistant clamps.
- It only has a 90-day warranty, if you read the fine print.
- Customer support is hard to reach.
2. NOCO Genius G7200
- The most versatile all-in-one battery charger...
- Perfect for keeping your vehicles fully...
- Works with all types of 12-volt and 24-volt...
- Keep your battery fully charged without worry...
This smart charger is easily one of the best and safest models to date. It can charge a myriad of battery types, like lithium-ion and lead-acid batteries.
It’s both a 12V and 24V charger and is designed with spark-proof technology to make it very safe to use.
It can improve your battery life! It has features that can monitor your battery’s health and can even repair discharged sulfated batteries.
Plus, you can use it to maintain other machine batteries for your motorbike, snowmobile, lawnmower, and etcetera.
- It has Reverse Polarity and Overcharge Protection.
- It can charge twice as fast as standard battery chargers.
- It has an onboard microcomputer for efficient charging.
- Its warranty process is tedious and lengthy.
- It doesn’t last quite that long.
3. GOOLOO GP200
- POWERFUL LIFE SAVER: The GOOLOO GP200 Jump...
- QUICK-CHARGE USB PORTS: Designed with dual...
- ADVANCED PROTECTION & UPGRADED SECURE CLAMP:...
- PORTABLE CHARGER & LCD SCREEN: 20800mAh...
If you’re looking for a robust and portable contender, the GOOLOO GP200 is the accessory you need. It acts as both a jump starter as well as a battery charger.
It can start most 12V cars for up to 30 times with no problems at all, and can even be used on lawn mowers, motorbikes, tractors, and more.
It has a 20,800mAh capacity and multiple Dual USB Ports. It’s so well-sized that you can even bring it with you during your hiking/camping trips.
It can also charge other electronic devices like mobile phones, tablets, and cameras. Plus, it can work even in cold weathers.
Without a doubt, the GOOLOO GP200 battery charger is another one of the best car battery chargers in the market right now.
- It is easily portable due to its handy size.
- It has a built-in flashlight.
- It can be used for other electronic devices.
- It only has 6-inch cables.
- It doesn’t last quite that long.
- GOOLOO offers limited support.
4. Schumacher SE 4022
- Equipped with cooling fan for...
- Accommodates both 6 and 12-volt batteries....
- Helps in fleet operations , easy-to-read,...
- Analyzes electrical and starting system...
The Schumacher Wheeled Battery Charger and Tester is a great model to get if you are looking for a complete charger solution.
This powerful equipment can accommodates both 6 and 12-volt batteries and it’s build with heavy-duty transformer.
To make sure the charger is not overheat, this model is designed with cooling fan for high-performance and long life.
Other useful features are an easy-to-read panel, color-coded meters, timer, 6 ft power cord and output cables for a total reach of 12 ft.
It also includes two rotary switches and a voltmeter.
5. Black + Decker BC25BD
- 25 amp bench battery charger maintains and...
- Fully automatic high frequency charging...
- Battery reconditioning feature helps extend...
- Equipped with reverse polarity protection;...
The Black + Decker BC25BD 25-amp bench battery charger is excellent at maintaining and charges any AGM, GEL, or WET automotive or marine 12-Volt battery.
It has 3 stage charging, automatically switching from fast charge, to top-off, to trickle charge.
One of the big benefit of having this battery charger is the battery reconditioning feature helps extend battery life.
Also, this battery charger is equipped with reverse polarity protection. So you do not need to afraid if this equipment will damage your battery.
Other useful features are LCD screen displays, charging status and battery status with easy to understand icons.
The Black + Decker BC25BD is ETL certified for performance and safety.
Best Portable Car Battery Charger – Review
Now that you’ve seen some excellent recommendations for the best overall battery charger, why not look at some portable ones?
You might want to bring the best portable battery charger wherever you go just in case you need it.
6. TACKLIFE T6 Car Jump Starter/Charger
<<< Hmm...that doesn't look right. Product is missing! Please contact the support staffs for assistant. >>>
If you’re looking for the best car battery charger that is portable and powerful, look for the Tracklife T6. This product can double as both a jump starter and battery charger.
It can start your car 30 times after a full charge and can be conveniently placed inside your glove box.
This charger can also be used on motorbikes and trucks. Plus, it has a built-in flashlight for when you need to jump start during the evening.
It comes with smart jumper cables, a wall charger, a car charger, a USB cable, and many more.
- It is conveniently portable.
- It can charge multiple electronic devices.
- It also works as a jump starter.
- No apparent disadvantages found.
7. BMK 12V 5A Smart Battery Charger
- 【UPGRADED DEFECTIVE BATTERY DETECT/FAST...
- 【UPGRADED 72-HOUR SAFETY FEATURES/MULTI...
- 【4-STAGE SMART CHARGING - FULLY AUTOMATIC...
- 【UPGRADED WITH 10A FUSE ONTO RING...
The BMK smart battery charger has a 4-stage smart charging scheme that is operated by an MCU controller.
It tells you when your battery is charging at 25%, 50%, 75%, and 100%.
Using this 12V 5A charger will make for fast charging, indeed.
Plus, you can use it for different kinds of batteries like cars, boats, electric vehicles, and etcetera.
At a light 15.87 oz, you can even take it anywhere you like!
- It is fully automatic, and convenient to use.
- It can be used for a variety of batteries.
- It can double as a Trickle Battery Charger.
- No apparent disadvantages found.
8. SUAOKI ICS7+ 12V Battery Charger
- WIDE RANGE USE: Able to diagnose and fix...
- DUAL-RATE MODES: Features 7A FAST mode and...
- COMPATIBILITY: Efficiently charges all 12V...
- LCD SCREEN: Displays real-time charging...
The SUAOKI ICS7+ has a wide range of uses, which makes it a really excellent bargain.
It can be used to diagnose and fix your battery problems; repair discharged batteries, as well as charge your car battery.
It can also be used on a boat, snowmobile, ATV, and lawn mower batteries among others.
It both has a FAST and SLOW mode to help you choose your ideal charging current. It also has a lot of safety features to guarantee better performance and a long lifespan.
- It can be used to fix other battery issues.
- It can be used on a variety of batteries.
- It has Reverse Polarity, Overcharge, and Over-Temperature Protection.
- No apparent disadvantages found.
9. POTEK Portable Power Source
- [HIGH PERFORMANCE] POTEK 1500 Peak/750...
- [150PSI TIRE INFLATOR] The air compressor...
- [PORTABLE POWER ON THE GO]With the two AC...
- [TWO WAYS FOR CHARGING]Equipped with 12 Volt...
If your car refuses to start due to a dead battery, all you need is this high-performance 300W Inverter Car Battery Charger to jump-start the engine and get it going.
The Potek Portable Power Source has a 750 instant amps car jump starter, and equipped with 18-amp hour lead acid battery which is perfect for camping use too.
But the Potek Portable Power Source is not only just a car battery charger or jumper but it also built with a tire inflator function.
At 150 PSI, the air compressor takes 6 to 8 minutes to inflate a regular car tire to 30 PSI. It can also use for bicycle, balls and other inflatable toys.
Other useful features are two AC charging ports and a USB port that can use to charge your electronic devices as well as other 110-Volt appliance under 300-watt like inverter, vacuum or mini fridge.
There is also a LED indicator to let you know the battery status. It’s helpful to let you know when the battery charger is running low on power.
10. Leicestercn (LST) Truck Battery Charger
What is great about the LST battery charger is that it featured a fast charging mode which can fully charge a drained 12-Volt or 24-Volt lead-acid or flooded batteries quickly.
This battery charger is suitable to use to charge the battery for cars, SUV, boat, excavator, truck, and large vehicles.
With this model, you do not need to worry overcharge issue too. Once the battery is fully charged, the battery charger microcontroller unit will automatically switch to float mode to prevent overcharging.
Other additional features are LED and Independent Failure Indicator. There are two LED indicators when the battery is charged to 50% and 100%, an indicator for voltage and a battery failure indicator too.
In term of design, this battery charger is ultra-compact, portable and lightweight. It even have mounting hole so you can mount it to a wall to keep your charging station tidy.
Also, this battery charge has protection in place for short circuit, OVP, OCP, overload and polarity reversed.
All battery charger purchased from Leicestercn comes with lifetime quality warranty and after-sale services.
Solar Car Battery Charger – Review
While traditional battery chargers are well and good, trying for another more environment-friendly source is also a good idea.
Why not try out a solar-powered car battery charger, for a change?
These solar-battery chargers not only can be used to charge a car battery, but it’s also excellent for household use.
While there are many options but list out the top 5 best solar car battery charger in the market right now. See the list below.
1. ACOPOWER HY010-12M 10W Mono Solar Panel
- High modules conversion efficiency 10W...
- Delivered ready for connection & FAST and...
- Basic component for off-grid Solar...
- Withstand high wind (2400PA) and snow loads...
The Mono-Solar Panel from ACOPOWER can provide you with up to 10W power, enough to start cars, boats, RVs, and caravans.
This off-grid mechanism can even power a greenhouse solar system. It can withstand high wind as well as heavy snow loads.
But it remains lightweight with waterproof features, and a reinforced, anti-reflection coated glass.
- It can withstand heavy rain, snowfall, and high winds.
- It still works even on cloudy days.
- It works for a variety of batteries.
- No apparent disadvantages found.
If you want to see more solar-powered car battery charger, below are other top models we’ve short-listed:
2. ALLPOWERS 60W Solar Panel Charger
- ☀️3-in-1: ALLPOWERS portable solar panel...
- ☀️High Efficiency: ALLPOWERS portable...
- ☀️Slim and Powerful: 60W portable solar...
- ☀️Simple Style: eyeholes enable easy...
3. Mighty Max Battery 10-Watt Polycrystalline Solar Panel
- MLS-10WP is 12v 10 watt polycrystaline solar...
- Dimensions: 13.75 inches x 10 inches x .75...
- Strong aluminum frame and high efficiency...
- Pre drilled holes on the back of the panel...
4. ECO-WORTHY 20W 12V IP65 Solar Panel Kit
- [Plug & Play] SAE connectors cable is easy to...
- [Widely Used] Ideal solar power kit for...
- [Durable Panel] Waterproof 25 Watt solar...
- [Full Protections] USB charge controller...
5. POWOXI 1.8W Solar Trickle Charger
- 【Amorphous solar Panel】: Enjoy powerful...
- 【Prevent battery reverse discharge】:...
- 【Maintenance-Free】: Weather-Resistant...
- 【For Any Rechargeable 12V Battery】: This...
Battery Charger Buying Guides
Voltage is the current that comes from the electric circuit’s source of power (in this case, your battery). It is essential since it pushes the current through a loop, making it do its work.
Most contemporary smart chargers can be used for most types of batteries. They can easily charge 6V, 12V, and batteries with other amounts of voltage.
Want to know more about electricity? It’s how your car runs, you know! Watch this video:
Amperage is the electrical current made by your battery measured in units of amps or amperes. An amp is equal to a one-coulomb flow per second.
Look for an amperage that suits your usage of your vehicle the best. If you’re just trying out chargers for the first time, a 10 to 20 amp charger is a good start.
If you own a professional fleet of vehicles, get a wheeled version that has about 5 to 60 amps, but can do a 275-ampere jump start mode as well.
This type of chargers are excellent for charging a fleet of truck as it’s build to be durable and high performance.
What Is a Smart Charger?
It’s bad when a battery charger continuously charge a battery, especially when the battery is already fully charged or near 100%.
To prevent the charger from overcharging, modern battery charges often have onboard computers that will automatically cut the power once a battery is fully charged.
The onboard computer can also slow down the rate of charge when the battery is approaching 100% to prevent overheat issue.
Preventing overcharging and overheating is just one of the many features of a smart charger. Other features might include:
- An indicator of errors when reversing the positive and negative hookups are detected.
- Remove the sulfur deposits that can build on the lead plates and prevent recharging
- A spark-resistant clamp to prevent sparks from the car battery which can ruin both the charger and the battery.
- and many other smart features that are helpful to understand the condition of your car battery and the battery charger better.
What Is A Trickle Charger?
A battery trickle charger maintains the charge state of your battery at 100% by applying charge regularly on your battery.
It usually starts at about 85% and continues whether or not your battery is fully charged.
Trickle charging is also called float mode.
Trickle Charger vs. Battery Tender
One battery accessory that has been interchanged with the car battery trickle charger is the battery tender.
However, they are different.
A battery tender, on the other hand, has circuitry that monitors the battery and charges only when the voltage has dropped below a preset level, thus preventing overcharging and damage. – Richard Russell, The Globe, and Mail
Simply put, a battery tender stops charging once your charge rate reaches 100%. It only resumes charging when it senses that your voltage has dropped.
That is why a battery tender can be left connected to your charger for a long time.
A trickle charger should be disconnected after use.
You can reconnect once or twice in a month.
Car Battery Chargers vs. Jump Starters
Both of these devices provide power to your vehicle’s battery in a different way. One is to charge while the latter gives an instant boost of power to kick start a depleted battery.
Car chargers plug into a wall outlet and deliver a small charge that maintains a battery’s charge when it isn’t being used. Simply put, car chargers are for long-term maintenance when the car is not in use.
A car charger is used to charge the battery for RVs, boats, four-wheeler, motorcycles and other vehicles that you minimally use throughout the year.
Jump-starter is a battery that delivers a high jolt of electricity to your vehicle so that it can get started. Usually, you will only need to jump start your car battery if it’s completely flat.
Once you jump-start the car, the alternator should be able to recharge the dead battery, unless the battery is too old or lost its ability to hold a charge, which happens to all batteries eventually.
How Does A Battery Charger Work?
To fully appreciate how a charger works, you must first know how a battery works.
In the simplest terms, car batteries do not store electricity.
They make use of chemical reactions to produce energy and then convert that to electricity.
The chemical reaction allows electrons to flow from the negative to positive plates of your batteries.
What a charger does is it reverses the electron flow, from the positive plate going to the negative plate.
This way, the prior chemical reaction needed can occur again.
How to Choose A Car Battery Charger?
There are many genius chargers in the market today. Technology and innovation have continued to improve the quality of products we can get in stores.
So, how do you choose which charger is the best car battery charger for you?
Well, the very first thing you need to determine is for what purpose you’re getting the car battery charger for.
After all, battery chargers are made with lots of useful features and safety properties.
Knowing how you’re going to use the battery can help you save up on a lot and even get the most of a feature you’ll probably use more often than others.
Regular car owners don’t need much concerning durability and power since this is just for emergency purposes.
Avid car enthusiasts may want something more elaborate, depending on what type of car activities they go on.
Professional vehicle owners may want the top-of-the-line when it comes to performance and durability since their fleet of cars may need these chargers more often.
How to Use a Battery Charger?
Now that you know what the best automotive battery charger is for you, the next question you need to ask is: how to use a car battery charger?
Here are a few steps you should definitely follow to use your charger successfully:
1. Check the Battery.
Make sure that all your battery’s connections are in order and working. Make sure that they are connected correctly to prevent damage from occurring.
It’s always good practice to check whether your battery is in excellent condition before attempting to charge it.
2. Undergo Recovery.
When your battery needs it, it will initialize a recovery process. It will start pulsing small amounts of current.
This is usually needed for sulfated and deeply-charged batteries.
3. Initiate Soft Start.
This is the beginning of the real charging process.
The charger will begin with a soft charging phase to not overwhelm both your battery and the charger itself.
4. Bulk Charge.
This is the actual charging process and will continue on up to 80% of your charge rate.
5. Start Absorption.
Charging will slow down by this time, and your charger will only provide small amounts of current until charge rate reaches 90%.
By this time, the battery is fully charged.
If still connected, the charger will only provide enough current when your battery needs it.
7. Perform Maintenance Cycle.
The maintenance cycle is when your charger just monitors your battery’s voltage and tries to determine whether or not it should stop or start the charge cycle.
Want to jump-start your car but don’t know how? Watch this video:
What Are the Safety Features of a Battery Charger?
The best car battery charger can provide you with additional safety features to help you feel secure while using it.
car batteries have harmful chemicals in them, and any failure can be hazardous. – Dan Collins, Car Bibles
Here are a few features you should look for when buying a battery charger:
- Reverse Polarity Protection prevents you from connecting the wrong terminals together.
- Automatic Voltage and Amperage Detection prevents both overcharging and overheating.
- Spark-proof Clamps prevents sparks and dangerous fires from ruining both your battery and charger.